Born in the barrio of Carlsbad, California in 1940, Victor VillaseƱor was raised on a ranch four miles north in Oceanside After years of facing language and cultural barriers, heavy discrimination and a reading problem, later diagnosed as dyslexia, Victor dropped out of high school his junior year and moved to Mexico. There he discovered a wealth of Mexican art, literature, music, that helped him recapture and understand the dignity and richness of his heritage.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

6. Don't do it!

Two years ago my cousin thought of committing suicide. He was thirteen years old and his parents had divorced. To make things worse he was an only child with no one to turn to, but me. I was his big brother and his go to guy for any problem. My family has always been there for me in a heartbeat even to the most dismal troubles. I lived three hours away from my cousin. I had no chance of seeing him except on the holidays. One night while I was watching television when call comes in and I answer to a cousin’s somber tone saying “Hey, I hate my life. I don’t feel good, I just this torture to be over. I’m going to kill myself.” I wished he was joking, but to the poignant tears that came after his rigid words my heart sank. Making his life seem barren he continued to explain that he felt alone with no one to talk to and a deep pain inside his heart. I knew I had to take this matter into my own hands or else my little cousin would have no other choice. Knowing what he felt with the divorces my ethos of being a part of three myself, I was able to explain how he might be able to avoid feeling so terrible. Sports were the first thing I mentioned to him. It was a way to have fun and relieve stress. Articulating the good results of exercise, he started to consider joining his school’s soccer team. He then started to feel detached of not having anyone to talk to about his feelings, but me. My brothers had always had girlfriends and I too was always feeling detached. So I thought a girlfriend can be the solution or it can cause more depression. Something had to be done now and I couldn’t wait so I mentioned getting a girl friend. Surprisingly he did say he was getting close with a girl in class. Sugarcoating the way she looked and how nice she was I felt better that he was already in the position to get in a relationship. Two weeks passed and I called to talk to him since the terrifying night. He answered with the happiest tone saying he was at Disneyland with his new girlfriend. I felt great that I started to dance. I had saved my cousin’s life and every time I see him he always says thanks.         

No comments:

Post a Comment