Born in the barrio of Carlsbad, California in 1940, Victor Villaseñor was raised on a ranch four miles north in Oceanside After years of facing language and cultural barriers, heavy discrimination and a reading problem, later diagnosed as dyslexia, Victor dropped out of high school his junior year and moved to Mexico. There he discovered a wealth of Mexican art, literature, music, that helped him recapture and understand the dignity and richness of his heritage.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

10. Best Advice

The best advice I have ever received is “Always be you and no one else.” I grew up with three brothers telling me this piece of advice which has led me to make decisions for myself instead of following what everyone else wanted me to do. I applied this advice into sports, where I had a passionate and aggressive experience. My brothers allowed me to train with them and always helped me beat the competitor in front of me. Sports were  one factor, but school is where the advice really had a deeper connotation. Everyone has a different personality and reputation. For some people their reputation wasn’t good enough and they decided to change themselves to get friends. I have seen this shocking and common mistake in movies, shows, and sadly to one of my best friends. I was first told this advice by my brothers who had made remorseful mistakes and had a hard time being themselves again. At first, I didn’t really know what the advice meant. I thought to myself “How can I be anyone else besides me?” Until my best friend changed to impress his fourth grade crush. Everything was going fine until one day he changed his clothes, his hair, and bought these weird sun glasses. When class started I thought he was absent, but he then walked over to me and said “what do you think?” I was astonished to see my friend change for some girl that treated him poorly. I didn’t know what to say, he was a whole different person. I stood up and said “Dude, I don’t think she likes you. I’m sorry, you are better off without her.” He was furious and walked away back to his seat. I told him the truth, but I lost him as a friend. He thought I liked her and that I wanted her to myself. I tried to explain but it was too late. Never be ashamed of who you are because it’s your true characteristics that will help change the world. Looking up to my brothers I changed myself, but I always reminded myself that being who you truly are is what matters. Girls will come and go; there is no need to worry. True friends will understand and always be there. Reputations may be bad or good, but never let it control your future.      

No comments:

Post a Comment