Born in the barrio of Carlsbad, California in 1940, Victor VillaseƱor was raised on a ranch four miles north in Oceanside After years of facing language and cultural barriers, heavy discrimination and a reading problem, later diagnosed as dyslexia, Victor dropped out of high school his junior year and moved to Mexico. There he discovered a wealth of Mexican art, literature, music, that helped him recapture and understand the dignity and richness of his heritage.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

12. Keep Moving Forward

It's a dark night the year is 1997 and the carnival is in town. The next thing you hear is a cry for help no one to be seen just a man running, people far behind trying to catch the man. No one has a chance, but my cousin takes charge and cuts of the man off before he could get into his car. My parents coming from behind finally catching up, the man starts to panic and drops what he was carrying. With no hesitation the man shoves my cousin, quickly gets into his car, and drives away. My mom's cry loud, sister feeling blame, and me having no clue what was going on could have been seeing a world from a different perspective. Three years later and I have my Coconut hair cut on my first day of the first grade. Wishing to make friends and enjoy what I knew was my school until we had to move after the first grade. Then the bitter yelling began, although it wasn't because of me at least I hoped not. Weeks pass and my mom seems depressed, I tried finding my dad, a no show. My parents had divorced. I began seeing my dad on the weekends, having a morose tone as I spoke. Two years after the divorce I had began playing soccer with the most amiable attitude on the field. I was now in the third grade and the year began with a Bang! I get to school early on a beautiful day. Minding my own business as I walk up to the breakfast line which was always open before school. The line is not that long and I wait my turn. The next thing I know is this kid with the up-most flippant attitude cuts right in front of me. I was starving and I wanted my Frosted Flakes. I was outraged especially since the line wasn't that long. He had a pony tail, which I grabbed and pulled him back. The next thing I know is that i'm on the floor getting ridiculed and kicked in all the wrong places. We both went to the office where he got in trouble and I didn't, but he did walk away the winner. Never make any rash decisions due to impious activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment